Pubcon – “Not Provided” Alternatives with Matt Cutts
Once the keynote from Matt at Pubcon ended, someone from the audience screamed “Give us back keyword data”. I know what this source of data has meant for many SEOs including myself, but I have been focusing instead on other signals for my consulting work, including the importance of Average Data. As indicated by the Live Not Provided Counter, we are at 79%+ on Average, while I have seen as high as 95% within my SEO testing network stats.
I was part of a “after the keynote” small group that engaged in over one and a half hour of conversation with Matt. I started the conversation by asking keyword data alternatives after the “Not provided” announcement was made. Thanks to my friend Daniel Vareta, who posted audio file of this conversation, plus gave me a smaller version of Matt’s Swiss Chocolate, which I enjoyed during the “Negative SEO” session at Pubcon
Some of the highlights of the conversation with Matt were:
- His opinion that we shouldn’t rely on Adwords to get the data
- Webmaster Tools will grow to include at least 1 year of data in upcoming upgrades
- There are plans to improve on 404 handling within crawl errors reporting in WT
- A delay in crawling and refreshing of all the links included within a Disavow file
- Succesful reconsideration requests, will take on average ten days to show in SERPs
- Supplemental Index still active and used in conjuction with the Main Index
- Every 10 Days Average to Revoke Manual Actions like Unnnatural Links
- Sample URLs for Disavow from Google are Manually Hand Picked by WebSpam Team
- Why adding NoFollow on rel=Author links would actually make sense
- Why it would make sense to have direct advice under for many issues on WT
- His surprise that many of us in the converstation spend a great deal on WT
- Pending Improvement for Search Queries When Scrapers outrank the Original Site
- The small set of Trusted/White Label Sites they do crawl very often (15 Minutes)
- Paid Review for pure link building towards increasing PageRank is considred Spam
- Duplicate Content is Computed both during Indexing and SERPs Return Levels
- Markup in Schema.org does improves Strcuture Understanding but not direct Boost
- Penguin Updates are pushed Live within few hours vs. Panda done while Indexing
- Providing Complete list of links Indexed for a site in WT via a Download request
- Providing Complete List of pages in Indexed by Google on a site via WT via request
- Re-editing top incoming links if when moving within domains is better than Redirects
- 301 Redirects dilute 10-15% of the oroginal link value from the old page into the new
I have been working on multiple “hacks” involving Webmaster Tools (WT), Google Analytics (GA) and Average Ranking (AR). I will be updating this post in the future with more details on how these work, including some sampling data from the results.
About SEO Consultant
Jose Nunez is a Technical SEO/SEM/SMO Consultant, with over 12 years of Search Engine Optimization experience. He is Certified in Advanced Search Engine Marketing skills and maintains a SEO Blog, an Online Resource focusing on Search Engines and Algorithm Analysis.
SEO Consulting Retainer
SEO consulting is billed on a monthly retainer basis. I work with you and your team each month as dedicated SEO consultants to make sure you achieve the results you want. My SEO consulting is a full service plan that includes everything from site architecture analysis, to SEO relevancy testing, to guidelines and strategies for copywriting. The SEO consulting service is not limited to a specific amount of hours per week, so as long as your team can implement, we will keep working. Here are just a few of the things you get with our SEO consulting service:
- Competitor analysis/intelligence
- On-site and off-site SEO
- On-topic and theme analysis
- Keyword/Brand co-occurrence analysis
- Site/code architecture
- Link building (semantic topical link building, aka relevant links)
- Strategic recommendations for all aspects of SEO
- Technical optimization (back end code)
- Keyword discovery and increased relevancy for those keywords
- Ad hoc reports/analysis/questions as requested by you
- Industry metrics reports
Hourly SEO Consulting
For those clients who cannot afford the cost of the Monthly Retainer or Site Assessment options, I have an hourly SEO consulting option at $100 per hour, that is capped at $1000 per month (optimizing up to 10 keyphrases). You can fill out the Hourly SEO Consultant form to contact me.
SEO Site Assessment
A site assessment is a one time review of your website that is designed to provide a foundation for your SEO strategy. We identify immediate issues that need to be addressed and provide guidelines and recommendations on how to build your SEO strategy from the ground up. The site assessment is going to provide you with a snapshot of your current state of SEO along with immediate actionable recommendations that you can move on from day 1. We actually recommend that clients start off with a site assessment and then branch into a retainer. We also include several strategy calls as needed and a 2 week period where we work side by side with you and your team to make sure that everything gets implemented correctly.
Link Building Services
Building upon the link relevancy of your site is one of the most effective methods of gaining top rankings in the search engines. Since link building is a complex and research based task, we can do it for you. A dedicated link builder can typically generate up to 100 inbound links monthly.
On-Site SEO Training
You tell us who you want to train and we create a customized training program for them. We can work with your technology team, marketing team, senior level management, etc. On-site training is usually done on a per day basis but we can customize this according to your needs. If you have specific topics you would like addressed we can also work with you on specific target areas. On-site training is designed to educate your team about SEO and provide a foundation so that you can implement SEO internally.
Custom SEO Services
Pick whatever you want and we will make it work. Perhaps you want a partial site assessment on a particular category or section of your site along with a half day training session. You tell us what you want and we will create a custom SEO package that meets all of your needs.
If you are interested in working with us or if you have any questions, please call 1.510.473.6949 to speak with Jose, who handles all of our relationships. You can email him at Jose@greatseoconsultant.com or use our SEO Consultant contact form.